Enclosed please find the course map for the 2.62 mile (for those looking to see what a converted marathon time would be...and possibly a BQ time) and the 5K time trials this weekend. I've wheeled the courses and will mark them early on Friday morning. They both will start at the UVa Chapel at the car line near the stoplight.
Here are a few important tips from your Coach...
1. Race it anytime throughout the day on Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Marathon Monday. This is to encourage social distancing. And, speaking of, if you do run it with one other non-household member, please run on opposite sides of the road.
2. Warmup for at least two easy miles prior to the start and then make sure to do lots of dynamics just before starting the race.
3. Surge all of the descents along the course.
4. There are three uphills of consequence: at Alderman as you approach the turn onto Lewis Mountain Road, the Emmet Street ramp leading back up the McCormick and then the "Heartbreak Hills" on Stadium Road. Take it easier on these ascents, except for Heartbreak, which you should hammer as it's near the finish!
5. The 5K finish is just about a half mile beyond the 2.62 mile finish (see map).
I do hope many of you will be able to get out and fire up your racing engines again sometime over the next few days. I know it's not the same as a real race but stay mentally focused and you'll feel like you've really accomplished something. Maybe even find an old race number to put on for the "race".
And above all else, enjoy and celebrate all the good things that still remain in the world around us!
I'll look forward to hearing from each of you (please text me your times).
With a hug and a high five,
2021 Annual Message