WEEK of MARCH 27
****Please note that I’ll be splitting this week into two groups:
1. Those who “raced” the 10 Miler
2. Those who did not race the 10 Miler****IMPORTANT: Many of you have indicated that you would like to race the Park to Park Half on April 29. If this is you and you raced the 10 Miler, then please continue to follow my recovery plan this week. Please be patient, because we’ll get rolling again next week!
Also, now that we’re entering the thick of the racing season, when we have at least one local race each weekend, it should be a standing rule that you run a “taper” workout on Wednesdays, if you’re racing that upcoming Saturday. This abbreviated taper style workout is designed to keep your wheels turning as you practice your race pace but without it tiring you out for race day.
*10 Miler racers = still recovering, so runs of 3-6 miles and all at AHR!
*Others= 20-35 miles (based on 4 days or more…those who can only squeeze in 3 days, may want to run less). Some folks may actually choose to do more than 35 miles…great, as the more the better!
MONDAY March 27
*Those who “raced” the 10 Miler = 3-5 AHR relaxed miles
*Those who did not “race” the 10 Miler = 4-6 AHR miles with 8 x 15 second hill pickup-surges, focusing on form…do not sprint!
WEDNESDAY March 29
-We continue to meet at the CHS track at 5:30am
*****IMPORTANT: Have a question about the workout? Then do NOT wait until Wednesday to ask it!! Call (293-3367), stop by or text me (962-1694) on Mondays or Tuesdays. I’m happy to answer your individual questions but am so much better at it when I can calmly absorb the question.
*Those who “raced” the 10 Miler = 4-5 AHR relaxed miles
*Those who did not race the 10 Miler = “Spartan” as follows:
1600 (4 laps) on the track at MP-HMP
800 off the track 15-20 seconds slower than MP
1200 on the track faster than the 1600 ~8K-5K pace
800 on the track faster than 5K
400 on fastest!
Two big “Keys” to this hard workout:
1. Do not run the 800 “off” sections too slow!
2. Make sure each “on the track” section is getting progressively faster! *Those racing this coming weekend (4/1-4/2) = 8 x 100 at your targeted race pace…NO faster! Take a slow 100 jog in between each.
SATURDAY April 1
*Those who “raced” the 10 Miler = 6-7 AHR miles with a very light fartlek of 6 x 60 seconds at HMP-10 mile pace followed by 30 seconds easy.
*Those who did not “race” the 10 Miler = moderately long run with the following tempo-fartlek on a relatively hilly course like Bellair (no Riverview!).
“15-5-10 workout” as follows (after warming up):
15 minutes at 10K-10 mile pace
2 minute slow jog
5 minutes at 5K pace or faster!
2 minute slow jog
10 minutes at a faster pace than the 15!
WEEK of MARCH 13
* “Speedsters” (race week) = taper time! See suggested mileage below.
MONDAY March 13
*SPEEDSTERS = 3-4 AHR miles with 4 x 15 second Flat surface surges (no sprinting)
WEDNESDAY March 15
Please meet at the CHS track at 5:30…As much as I love seeing a huge crowd on Wednesday mornings, I will totally understand it if those of you tapering for your weekend races, choose sleep over coming out for your abbreviated workout (which you can do later in the day). I’ll miss you!
*******SNOW NOTE: if we do get the 5+ inches of snow they’re calling for on Monday night, we probably won’t be able to safely workout on Wednesday. No worries, as the big key workouts are on Saturday this week.
A. Those racing on Saturday = 8 x 200 (NOT on the track…I’ll wheel the 200 mark on our road behind the school) in four sets of 2 as a race simulation practice with a slow 75 second jog in between each:
First set of 2 = the pace you plan to start at for the first mile
Second set of 2 = 10 miler pace
Third set of 2 = 10K pace
Fourth set of 2 = 10K-5K pace
B. Those NOT racing on Saturday = 12 x 400 with a very brief 100 meter jog in between each. Try to start at 5K pace and pick it up as you proceed.
SATURDAY March 18
Race the 10 Miler: depending on how long your longest training run is, you should do some sort of a warmup prior to the start of the race.
SUGGESTED MILEAGE for the WEEK of MARCH 6
*5K-10K folks = 20-25 miles (based on at least 4 days of running…please drop the mileage count if you’re running less than 4 days).
*10 Miler-Half crew = “taper week”: ~18-25 miles
***Pool miles count!
MONDAY March 6
5K-10K = 3 AHR miles (recover from 8K)
10 Miler = 3-5 AHR miles (recover from 8K)
WEDNESDAY March 8
Please meet at the CHS parking lot for the following workouts
*Speedsters (10 Miler-Half/5K-10K folks) =
3 x 800 with a 2-3 minute jog in between each
Followed by 4 x 400 at a fast but relaxed pace with a 90 second jog in between each
Finish with 3 x 800 faster than the first set.
Check Facebook and twitter for paces!
SATURDAY March 11
Option A.: Sugar Hollow 5K or 10K
Option B. 7 total miles with 2 x 2 miles starting at HMP for the first half mile of the first two miler and working faster as you proceed. Take a 2 minute jog in between each.
*10 mile crew = three options
1. Race the Sugar Hollow 5K (not 10K as that’s too far to race one week out from your big race)
2. 7 miles total as follows: run your first two miles of the 10 miler course at the same exact pace you plan to run the first two miles of the 10 miler race as “practice” (see above). Follow that with 6 x 3 minutes at your targeted 10 miler pace with a 45-60 second jog in between each. Then run 30 seconds fast followed by 30 seconds slow x 6. The run 1 mile at 10 mile pace. Cooldown jog
3. Run an all-out two mile time trial (after a 2-3 mile warmup jog) on a track or flat course.