Please try to work on getting your weekly mileage up to the 20-30 mile range over the next few weeks.
WEDNESDAY May 23
***Please meet me at the UVa track parking lot at 5:45am.
IMPORTANT: This will be our last Wednesday speed workout of this session, so I’d like to do something fun and team oriented for this last Wednesday of the cycle.
(We will take a little break next week and then start the summer cycle the week of June 4th with a hilly fartlek workout).
****This week let’s have some fun with the “Wacky Wednesday Speedsters 8K Relay”. Please come join us!
How it works: I will divide you into evenly matched two-person teams (one faster person paired up with another person who is much slower than them) on Wednesday morning. This is how it will go:
-The faster person will lead off for their team with a 600 (a lap and a half)
-they will then hand off to their partner (they will be waiting at the 600 mark), who will then run a 400
-then the lead person will run another 600 and so forth!
Each team will do this 600/400 a total of 8 times so you will then get a team 8K time at the finish! So, one person runs 8 x 600 and the other person runs 8 x 400.
***Prizes to the top three teams!!
****Those racing the BRUCE BARNES MILE will have a mile Time Trial today. Make sure you’re extra warmed and you do lots of extra dynamics prior to me starting your mile “race”!
My suggested WEEKLY MILEAGE TRAINING TEMPLATE
Here’s what your coach has found to be the best weekly training regimen (4-5 days) to help keep you injury free and feeling refreshed for your workout or long run days.
The overall goal is to space your two hardest/longest days as far apart as possible and to give each of the days a defined “purpose”.
***And remember: ~80% of your total weekly mileage should be run at your slow and relaxed AHR pace and the other 15-20% should be at a pace faster than your AHR.
*MONDAYS = 3rd longest run of the week (5-6 miles) with flat or hill surge pickups. This is also a great day to get in a tough core workout like Formula, as a substitute for your run.
*WEDNESDAYS = 2nd longest run of the week (7-9 miles total) with “speed” of some sort.
*THURSDAYS = 4th longest run of the week, so your shortest run and your most important run to go slowly, as it’s a recovery day (3-4 slow miles). This is the day I’d suggest getting in the deep end of the POOL for your mileage.
*SATURDAYS = longest run on the week! I alternate between an extra long slow AHR run one Saturday and a “shorter long run” with some sort of workout in the middle, for the next Saturday.
*SUNDAYS (if you can get in 5 days) = also your shortest run of the week, as it is also a big time recovery day (3-4 slow miles)!
***All non-running days should be focused on foam rolling and upper body core work, like situps/pushups or gym work
2021 Annual Message