I sure missed you over the last several weeks, after our long walking trip, and I was so happy to see so many of you at the Wednesday workout this week.
I wanted to publicly thank Harry and Leah for all their wonderful help in taking care of things while I was away. I really appreciate their thoughtful volunteer acts of kindness.
And I also want to thank each of you who donated SO generously to the airline vouchers you gave to me last spring. We used them to get over to England and they ultimately led us to what became the walk of a lifetime. That means the world to us and I can’t thank you enough for always being so kind to me. I continue to love seeing each of you improve and derive so much
enjoyment from your training together.
A few thoughts for the week…
1. A huge thanks to all who came out to help me at the Men’s Four Miler yesterday. The race was a huge success and I could not have done it without the help of folks like Bev, Peggy, Leah, Susan, Mackenzie, Paula, Erika, John, Kelly, Michelle, Kristin H., Bill, Megan and Cynthia. Way to go to our fast racers too. Here’s just a sampling of some our guys who had excellent performances: Jim, Jeffrey, Zach, Mark, Ian, James, Trent, Kenny and, Brian C.
2. And a big thanks to all the folks who helped distribute flyers to the neighborhoods along the route of the Community Bridges 5K. Harry, Kara, Carol, Rick, Anne, Peggy, Bill, Russell, Rachel and Cynthia were a huge help this morning as we distributed over 500 flyers.
3. And speaking of, I’d love to see as many our folks out to race with Jim this Saturday at the 2nd annual Community Bridges 5K. This would mean a lot to us as we’re passing along all of the proceeds to several local organizations who are doing really good work with Affordable Housing issues in our community. Can’t race? Then please sign up to help on race day. We still need about 25 more volunteers. Thanks!
4. Congrats to longtime Boston Bound runner Jenny G., who nailed a sweet 2:43:00 at Twin Cities this morning, earning herself a spot on the starting line of the 2020 U.S. Olympic Marathon Trials!! And congrats to Rick K., Henry R. and Jordan P., who all qualified for Boston while I was away in September.
5. Happy Birthday to Martha C. today!
6. I thought you might get a kick out of seeing the latest 5K standards for All-American status for Masters runners. I’m impressed with the fact that many of you have already earned this with your speedy times!
ALL-AMERICAN STANDARDS for 5K
40-44 = 22:45 18:10
45-49 = 23:50 18:45
50-54 = 25:20 19:30
55-59 = 27:05 20:30
60-64 = 29:00 21:40
65-69 = 31:20 24:20
70-74 = 34:00 27:40
I’m looking forward to seeing many of you, either this Wednesday or at the Community Bridges 5K this Saturday.
WEEK of OCTOBER 7
*Speedsters = Recovery week, so please drop your normal weekly mileage by 20-25%
*BB October marathoners = Race week for Chicago… all else please text or stop by for specifics about your last few weeks of training.
IMPORTANT: Chicago folks should come see me about their race day game plan this week.
*BB November marathoners = ~45-50 miles or more
MONDAY October 7
*Speedsters = 4-5 miles with 2 miles at HMP… finish with 4 x 15 second hill form surges with a long recovery in between each
*Chicago folks = 4-5 miles as follows:
-1 mile at the exact pace you plan to start out at race day
-2 miles right at MP… not one single second faster!
-1-2 miles at AHR
*Other October marathoners = please text me for specifics (please include the date of your race)
*BB November = 7-8 miles total with 4 miles right at MP (no faster!)… also run 5 x 12 second hill form surges with a long break in between each.
WEDNESDAY October 9
***Please meet me at the UVa track at 5:45 for the following workouts:
*Speedsters = 15 x 400 in three sets of five as follows:
-1st set at 103-104% of 10 miler with a rolling 150 recovery in between each (I’ll set cones out)
-2nd set at 104-105% of 10 miler with a rolling 100 recovery in between each
-3rd set faster with a rolling 50 recovery in between each (I’ll set cones out)
*Chicago = 4 miles total with 6-8 x 15 second FLAT surges at HMP-10K pace with a slow 45 second jog in between each.
*Other BB October = please text me for specifics
*BB November = 15 x 400 in three sets of five as follows:
-1st set at 108-109% of MP with a rolling 150 recovery in between each (I’ll set out cones)
-2nd set at 109-111% of MP with a rolling 100 recovery in between each
-3rd set faster with a rolling 50 recovery in between each (I’ll set out cones)
***Racing the Community Bridges 5K? Then run 6 x 200 at your targeted pace with a slow 200 jog in between each.
***Just Running? There’s always a group of folks who are simply “just running”, so please come join them for 5-7 social miles.
SATURDAY October 12
*Speedsters = two choices:
A. Race the Community Bridges 5K
B. 9 miles total as follows:
-1 at 85% of HMP
-2 at 93% of HMP
-3 at 100% of HMP
-1 at 75% of HMP
*All the best to our Chicago crew!
*Other BB October folks = please get in touch with me for specifics
*BB November = 16 miles total as follows:
-2 miles at the exact same pace you plan to start with on race day
-9 miles at 100% of MP
-2 miles at 104%
-2 miles faster!
-1 mile at 80%a
2021 Annual Message